My Big Fat Greek Wedding



Many people may be familiar with Greek weddings thanks to the 2002 film, My Fat Greek Wedding. If you have watched the movie then you will know just how seriously Greeks take their weddings. Greek weddings tend to be big…. very big! Anyone and everyone is invited and even if you aren’t invited you sure will hear about it. What makes Greek weddings so interesting and entertaining are the many traditions that are practiced.

Stefana
The Stefana symbolises the couple being King and Queen. It is blessed by the priest and passed between the couple a few times before being put on their heads. The Stefana also represents the official union of marriage. It is usually made of white flowers and evergreen leaves to symbolise fertility. The Stefana is probably the most important part of styling the bride.


The Koumbaros
The Koumbaros is like the sponsor of the marriage and performs rituals throughout the wedding ceremony. The groom’s godparents are usually asked to be the Koumbaros. The Koumbaros later on baptise the first child of the couple and act as the child’s godparents.


The Reception
The reception at a Greek wedding is very rambunctious. At the reception everyone joins in the Kalamatiano dance which is led by the bride. Another popular dance is the money dance. This is a traditional dance that involves money being pinned to the brides gown. Ouzo, the Greek national drink is drunk at the reception along with champagne and wine.

Food and drink
Greek weddings have and excessive amount of food to feed the large crowds that attend. Most dishes that are served include traditional salads, seafood and lamb dishes. In terms of drinks, Ouzo is a popular drink as mentioned above. Deserts will most likely be Greek coffee and the wedding cake.

References: 

By: Ella Gregory 


Comments

  1. I was married for 16 years to a loving mother and wife. We had 2 children together who are now 11 & 13. I reconnected with an old girlfriend from college on Facebook and we began an affair and I left my wife. The woman I had an affair with is a wonderful woman and I love her too and our kids had begun accepting the situation and my wife has kind of moved on, but not in love with the man she is seeing. I thought I fell out of love with my wife and I felt terrible about what I did to her - she is a good woman and I don't know what came over me. I decided to try and get her back and I was recommended to Lord Zakuza for help to get reunited with my wife and within 48 hours after I made contact with Lord Zakuza my wife decided to work things out with me and now we are back together with our children living as one happy family. I really don't know the words to use in appreciation of what Lord Zakuza did for me but I will say thank you sir for reuniting I and my family back. For those in trying times with their marriages or relationship can WhatsApp Lord Zakuza for help with this number +1 740-573-9483 or you can send him an email to Lordzakuza7@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. REAL URGENT EFFECTIVE SPELL CASTER TO HELP BRING BACK EX LOVER AND SAVE MARRIAGE   :  http://drjumbaspellhome.wordpress.com I recently saw a testimony about a spell caster in a blog I visit for relationship counseling problems because I had been having serious issues with my husband and we had been dating for six months, he just suddenly changed, he was returning my calls, he started cheating,he was hurting me in so many ways i never thought possible and I just thought I should try it maybe out of desperation ..and I contacted them. At first everything felt dreamy and unbelievable, their consultations and solutions were a little bit easy and strange and I was scared a little cos I heard, read and heard lots of stories of spell casters and I never really believed in spells ..I played along with a little hope and faith and I was sent some few stuffs after everything and it worked like a miracle, everything went to a whole new direction, I guess it was all good faith that made me read That particular post that fateful day. I hope they could help other people too like they did a little and I got everything I wanted and wished for my husband, my family and my life back their address is; wiccalovespelltools@gmail.com  Call him or add him on WhatsApp via: +19085174108

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spitting on the bride: Masai weddings Kenya

Traditional Afghan Weddings

Lebanese Traditional Weddings